European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grants Open for Applications
ERC funding scheme open to leading researchers of any nationality who wish to carry out their frontier research projects in any field or subject in EU Member States or Associated Countries.
The European Research Council (ERC) is the European Commission’s main channel for funding investigator-driven, frontier research. The ERC runs five main grant programmes to support projects and investigators at progressive stages of development: Starting Grants, Proof of Concept Grants, Consolidator Grants, Advanced Grants, and Synergy Grants.
The ERC is now accepting applications for Advanced Grants to support active, well established researchers of any nationality who wish to carry out their frontier research in any field or subject in EU Member States or Associated Countries. Applications may be made in any field of research. Proposals that cross disciplinary boundaries, pioneering ideas that address new and emerging fields and applications that introduce unconventional, innovative approaches are particularly encouraged. Applicant Principal Investigators (PIs) must demonstrate the ground breaking nature, ambition and feasibility of their frontier research proposal.
PIs of any age and nationality may apply to carry out research in a host institution established in an EU Member State or Associated Country. PIs must intend to spend at least 30% of their working time on the ERC project and at least 50% of their time in an EU Member State or Associated Country.
Applicants are expected to be active researchers and to have a track record of significant research achievements in the last ten years. They are expected to have achieved one or more of the following benchmarks:
- Ten publications as main author in major international peer-reviewed multidisciplinary scientific journals, and/or in the leading international peer-reviewed journals and peer-reviewed conferences proceedings of their respective field
- Three major research monographs
- Five granted patents
- Ten invited presentations in well-established internationally organised conferences and advanced schools
- Three research expeditions led by the applicant PI
- Three well-established international conferences or congresses where the applicant was involved as a member of the steering and/or organising committee
- International recognition through scientific or artistic prizes/awards or membership in well-regarded Academies or artefact with documented use
- Major contributions to launching the careers of outstanding researchers
- Recognised innovation leadership
Individual grants provide up to a maximum of €2.5 million for a period of five years. Additionally, up to €1 million can be requested to cover: purchase of major equipment; access to large facilities and other major experimental and field work costs, excluding personnel costs; and eligible ‘start-up’ costs for PIs moving to the EU or an Associated Country from elsewhere.
While there are currently no countries officially associated to Horizon Europe, applicants established in Horizon 2020 Associated Countries or in other third countries negotiating association to Horizon Europe will be treated as entities established in an Associated Country provided that an association agreement with the third country is signed at the time of signature of the grant agreement.
Applications should be made through the Commission’s Funding & Tenders Portal by the 20 August 2021 deadline.