EU Funding Available to Support Local and Regional News Media
Call to support innovation and long-term resilience in local, regional and community media ecosystems.
A new European Commission call for proposals will support innovation and long-term resilience in local, regional and community media ecosystems as well as to increase understanding of the phenomenon of “media deserts”.
The aim of the call is to help improve the knowledge base of the regional, local and community news media landscape in the EU, and also to support news media and initiatives serving those local and regional communities for whom the qualitative and/or quantitative provision of professional news content is strained.
Proposals shall put forward two activities:
- The mapping of the local and regional news media landscape across the EU and the identification of existing or potential “media deserts”
- Strengthen local, regional and community news media across the EU
Applicants (beneficiaries and affiliated entities) must be legal entities (public or private bodies) established in an EU Member State (including overseas countries and territories (OCTs)). Proposals may be submitted by news media organisations or organisations active in, or with proven expertise in the media domain, such as:
- Non-profit organisation (private or public)
- Civil society organisations
- Public authorities (national, regional, local)
- International organisations
- Non-governmental organisations
- Educational institutions
- Research centres
- Profit making entities
Non-profit and civil society organisations are encouraged to apply to the call.
The available call budget is €1.99 million. The EU co-financing is limited to a maximum of 90% of the total eligible costs. It is expected that one proposal will be funded, starting at the latest in March 2023 for duration of 15 to 18 months.
Applications must be submitted by 19 September 2022.