ESRC Offers Large Grants for Ambitious Research in the Social Sciences
Large grants available to fund ambitious social science-focused research with the potential to generate significant economic or societal impact.
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) are inviting proposals from individuals and research teams at eligible institutions to take forward an ambitious research agenda with the potential to generate significant economic or societal impact.
Their expectations are that large grants funded under this funding opportunity will:
- Undertake a programme of ambitious and novel research
- Show strong commitment for the career development of researchers (particularly at early-career stage)
- Make significant contributions to scientific and economic or social impact
- Involve potential users of research and include a clear strategy for creating impact that improves outcomes for individuals, society and the economy
- Drive interdisciplinary research within and beyond the social sciences
- Take advantage of international collaborative or comparative opportunities.
Proposals are welcomed from any area of ESRC’s social science disciplines.
ESRC expect to fund:
- Four projects from any discipline within the social sciences as part of the open element of this opportunity
- One project specifically related to ‘resilience to crises’ highlight notice in collaboration with AHRC.
The principal investigator for this funding opportunity must be based at an organisation eligible for funding for the duration of the grant. Eligible organisations are:
- UK higher education institutions
- Research council institutes
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)-approved independent research organisations
- Public sector research establishments
- NHS bodies with research capacity.
Proposals must be between £1 million and £2.5 million at full economic cost (fEC). ESRC will fund 80% of fEC.
Proposals can be up to five years in length.
Grants are expected to start by 1 October 2023.
Outline applications must be submitted online via the Joint Electronic Submission system (Je-S) by the deadline of 20 September 2022 (4pm UK time).
(This report was the subject of a RESEARCHconnect Newsflash.)