€1 million Millennium Technology Prize Opens for Nominations
The biennial prize rewards outstanding technological achievements that broadly improve the life of humankind and promote sustainable development.
Technology Academy Finland (TAF) awards the biennial Millennium Technology Prize for groundbreaking technological innovations that benefit millions of people around the world. The award is available for all technological innovations (excluding military technology) that benefit people and promote sustainable development by:
- Enhancing quality of life.
- Promoting sustainable development, such as the efficient use of Earth’s resources, biodiversity, and mitigation of climate change.
- Generating applications with global commercial viability.
- Creating new accessible socioeconomic value.
- Stimulating further cutting-edge research and development in science and technology.
The global accessibility of technology and the ethical codes of conduct used in the development of the innovation will also be included in the assessment process of the nominations.
The Prize is intended for innovators in the active stage of their careers, not as a retrospective lifetime achievement award.
Nominations from all fields of technology (except military technology) from across the world can be made by universities, academies, research institutes, and industrial enterprises and organisations. Nominees can be either individuals or research groups/teams.
TAF presents the Millennium Technology Prize every second year. The prize is €1 million.
Nominations for the 2024 round of awards should be submitted by the 31 October 2023 (23:59 (EEST)) deadline.
(This report was the subject of a ResearchConnect Newsflash.)