Funding from the EPSRC-funded National Research Centre on Privacy, Harm Reduction and Adversarial Influence Online (REPHRAIN) to support projects relating to REPHRAIN’s missions and research challenges.
The National Research Centre on Privacy, Harm Reduction and Adversarial Influence Online (REPHRAIN) is an EPSRC-funded research centre that forms part of the wider UKRI investment focusing on protecting citizens online. The Centre will explore how to keep people safe online while allowing them to fully participate in digital technologies and the contributions they make to an innovative, inclusive and healthy economy and society.
This call has been launched to fund multiple proposals relating to REPHRAIN’s missions and research challenges. REPHRAIN’s missions are as follows:
- Mission 1: Deliver privacy at scale while mitigating its misuse to inflict harms.
- Mission 2: Minimise harms while maximising benefits from a sharing-driven digital economy.
- Mission 3: Balance individual agency vs. social good.
Proposals that focus on the following themes that have emerged from the scoping work undertaken are particularly encouraged:
- Testbeds for detecting, disrupting and investigating online harm
- Novel awareness mechanisms
- Negotiation and conflict resolution mechanisms
- Establishing scalable trust
- Data minimisation and deletion in online platforms
REPHRAIN will consider larger proposals that address more than one topic area.
Projects should last no longer than 12 months and must be conducted between 1 July 2021 and 30 June 2022.