Funding to encourage high-quality scientific studies that lead to a better understanding of the Human-Animal Bond.
Nestlé Purina Petcare is an American subsidiary of Nestlé. It produces and markets pet food, treats and cat litter. The company was formed in 2001 by combining Nestlé’s Friskies Petcare Company with Ralston Purina.
The aim of the Purina Sponsorship For Human-Animal Bond Studies is to encourage high-quality scientific studies that lead to a better understanding of the Human-Animal Bond. Purina seeks to promote fundamental knowledge of the benefits that cats and dogs bring to humans in different environments and situations. Purina will also encourage communication of the study findings, so the benefits of the Human-Animal Bond can reach people and their cats and dogs worldwide.
Purina wishes to receive research proposals in the following areas:
- Benefits of adopting shelter pets and of volunteering at pet shelters
- Pet and human physical health and well-being
- Pets and child/adult literacy
- Animal-assisted therapy to destigmatise mental health
- Pets in abusive relationships and the impact of allowing pets at domestic violence shelters
- Therapy dogs and youth struggling with physical, emotional and mental challenges
- Pets and youth: self-awareness and empathy development, and stress and emotion management
- Pets and post-traumatic stress disorders, phobias and anxiety
- Using pets in counseling/therapy setting
- Pets helping hospitalised patients and the homeless
Only proposals about cats and/or dogs will be evaluated.