JDRF Collaborative Advancement of Cures for T1D
Closing Date: 08/12/2022
Substantial project grants to support multidisciplinary teams conducting projects to advance the development of therapies and cures for type-1 diabetes.
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), based in the United States, is an international organisation that funds innovative research to advance the treatment, prevention and cure of type-1 diabetes (T1D).
This Request for Applications – ‘Collaborative Advancement of Cures for T1D‘ – is seeking proposals from coordinated, multidisciplinary teams seeking to carry out high-impact research with the potential to accelerate the development of therapies to prevent, slow, halt or reverse the progression of T1D and/or cure established T1D.
This RFA has been issued through the JDRF Cures Programme, which aims to develop and deliver advances in screening, disease-modifying therapies, and beta cell replacement therapies that treat individuals at all ages and at all stages of disease. The overall objective of this RFA is the development of research collaboratives consisting of at least two or three laboratories, each contributing unique and complementary expertise, approaches, resources and capabilities (technological, subject-matter, or analytical), to advance the development of cures for T1D more than can be achieved in a single grant or by individual laboratories.
Proposed research plans must address a major gap-filling advancement in the development of therapies and cures for T1D.
Projects should address the development and enabling of clinical testing of therapies and approaches toward one or more of the following JDRF Cures Programme goals:
- The development of data and analysis necessary for improving the prediction of high- risk individuals.
- Disease Modification:
- Accelerating the development of disease modifying therapies that delay, stop, or reverse the development and progression of T1D, and enables pivotal clinical testing of these therapies.
- Developing immunotherapy approaches that stop the autoimmune attack, enhance immune regulation, or deviate inflammatory processes.
- Investigating approaches focused on promoting the function, survival, regeneration, and targeted delivery of therapies to beta cells.
- Beta Cell Replacement:
- Accelerating the development and validation of strategies that ensure cell survival and function in alternative sites of implantation.
- Research that enables the development of safe, more efficacious, and longer-lasting cell therapies without the use of broad immunosuppression.
Priority consideration will be given to projects that outline research plans that are approaching clinical translation (late preclinical development) and proposals that outline courses of study that address multiple Cures Programme Strategies (for example, investigation into beta cell transplantation and immunotherapy to promote transplanted cell survival).
|Funding body||Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)|
|Maximum value||2,250,000 USD|
|Fund or call||Fund|