Fight for Sight/RCOphth Zakarian Awards
Closing Date: 22/07/2022
Grants are available to enable Royal College of Ophthalmologists members to gain experience and undertake ophthalmic and vision research.
Fight for Sight is a UK charity that aims to stop sight loss caused by eye conditions and diseases through innovative research. The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (RCOphth) is a professional membership body for the practice of ophthalmology and seeks to represent and support medically qualified and trainee ophthalmologists.
The Zakarian Awards scheme is jointly funded by Fight for Sight and RCOphth. It enables RCOphth members to gain experience and undertake ophthalmic and vision research.
Awards are designed to support three categories of researchers:
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow ophthalmology trainees – to prepare preliminary/pilot data to develop their proposed PhD projects and/or doctoral research training funding applications.
- Non-NIHR ophthalmology trainees and candidates who are not in other types of research training posts.
- Consultants or SAS ophthalmologists holding NHS substantive contracts and without dedicated research time.
Medical research may be undertaken in any area of ophthalmology and vision sciences that aims to:
- Increase understanding of how eye diseases and conditions start and develop.
- Prevent eye diseases and conditions occurring.
- Enable eye diseases and conditions to be detected earlier.
- Develop new and improved treatments for eye diseases and conditions.
- Enable clinicians to better support their patients with established eye conditions.
- Inform the development of health and other policy in the area of ophthalmology or sight impairment.
Successful applicants are expected to gain experience of and exposure to a research environment in order to increase their skills and knowledge base. They are also expected to publish the data gathered during the course of the award and use the experience to strengthen future research.
The awards are named in honour of the late Miss Zakarian who left a legacy to Fight for Sight to help the charity support innovative researchers.
|Funding body||Royal College of Ophthalmologists (RCOphth)|
|Fund or call||Fund|