Falling Walls Global Call: Science Breakthrough of the Year
Closing Date: 01/05/2023
International competition that showcases the most recent and innovative scientific breakthroughs in a wide range of research areas.
Falling Walls Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. Taking inspiration from the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, the foundation sees its mission as bringing together those who set out to tear down the next walls in science and society. Falling Walls creates initiatives, spaces and digital platforms for innovative scientific ideas worldwide. The foundation organises the annual Falling Walls Summit which brings together global leaders in science, politics, business, and the media to discuss current scientific and social global challenges.
The Falling Walls Global Call is designed to strengthen the visibility of breakthrough research that has contributed to understanding and solving global challenges in science and society.
The award is presented in nine different categories:
- Life Sciences: the scientific study of life and organisms, such as biology, neuroscience, zoology.
- Physical Sciences: the observation and understanding of natural phenomena of the earth, atmosphere and space, such as chemistry, physics, astronomy.
- Engineering and Technology: the practical application of science and mathematics to every-day life, such as artificial intelligence, information technology, mechanical engineering.
- Social Sciences and Humanities: the institutions and functioning of human society and the interpersonal relationships of individuals as members of society, such as politics, economics, philosophy.
- Art and Science: artists whose work is inspired and influenced by science, which sheds light on societal issues, natural phenomena or simply the wonder of scientific discoveries.
- Science and Innovation Management: significant advances, developments, achievements or an increase in (scientific) knowledge that remove barriers to progress.
- Emerging Talents (Falling Walls Lab): next generation of students and early career professionals from all disciplines whose exceptional ideas create a positive impact on science and society.
- Science Start-ups (Falling Walls Venture): innovative start-ups that have translated breakthrough scientific thinking into promising business models.
- Science Engagement (Falling Walls Engage): forms of participatory science engagement initiatives that generate mutual learning between, and mutual benefits for, science and society.
|Funding body||Falling Walls Foundation gGmbH|
Arts and Humanities
Biotechnology and Biology
Economic and Social Research
Engineering and Physical Sciences
Science and Technology
|Fund or call||Fund|