European Research Council (ERC) Science Journalism Initiative
Closing Date: 15/12/2022
Funding to facilitate a new ERC award to support journalists wishing to spend time (approximately three to five months) at research institutions in order to better understand frontier research.
The European Research Council (ERC) is part of the ‘Pillar I – Excellent Science’ strand of Horizon Europe and provides long-term funding to support excellent investigators and their research teams to pursue ground-breaking, high-gain and high-risk research. The ERC is a key component of Horizon Europe and complements other European research and innovation platforms, such as those of the national research funding agencies.
The ERC has launched the Science Journalism Initiative to provide funding for journalists wishing to spend short stays of approximately three to five months embedded at research institutions in order to better understand frontier research.
The purpose is to provide journalists with opportunities to learn and work on in-depth reporting projects by immersing themselves in the research environment and interacting with scientists and scholars. Such opportunities should facilitate better understanding of frontier research, while respecting journalistic independence.
Through this coordination and support action opportunity, the ERC will support an organisation or a consortium of organisations to set up a funding scheme that would facilitate these stays. The holder of this action grant would be expected to, among others:
- Design the support programme.
- Set up a high-level media advisory committee to ensure the credibility and independence of the programme in relation to journalists’ community.
- Prepare conditions to carry out the actions, especially establish relations with ERC grantees and host institutions’ press offices to make sure the fellowships and placements are well organised and useful both to the journalists and to researchers.
- Launch calls for applications or proposals for fellowships or placements through the Financial support to third parties (FSTP).
- Evaluate the proposals based on the criteria of excellence and impact, ensuring balance in terms of topics covered by the participating journalists, geographical distribution of host institutions, and gender of the participants, provide funding to enable journalists’ stays at host institutions.
- Organise meetings, networking opportunities for the participating journalists and researchers.
- Monitor the implementation of the programme, and report to the ERC on the performance of the programme.
This ERC call allows for financial support to third parties (FSTP). The applicants must clearly describe the objectives of the action and the expected results, as well as meet the specific conditions on the use of FSTP as set out in the Model Grant Agreement, among others conditions for submission, evaluation and selection of proposals of third parties.
The maximum duration of the project will be 48 months. One proposal will be selected.