ESRC – Partner with the Police to Tackle Violence Against Women and Girls
Closing Date: 03/05/2022
Funding available researchers in the UK to work in partnership with the police to tackle violence against women and girls.
ESRC is inviting proposals to this funding opportunity, which is aimed at establishing and fostering the development of long-term partnerships between policing and academia, involving other relevant partners and stakeholders where appropriate.
The intention is to develop strong networks and joint research activities linked to tackling the issue of violence against women and girls (VAWG). This includes all acts of violence, abuse, crimes and behaviours that disproportionately affect women and girls.
VAWG could include, but is not limited to:
- Violence, abuse and intimidation against women and girls
- Domestic violence and abuse, including domestic homicide
- Rape, other sexual offences, abuse and exploitation
- Stalking and harassment
- Coercive and controlling behaviour
- Harmful practices, including:
- honour-based violence and abuse
- female genital mutilation
- child marriage
- forced marriage
- breast ironing
- Online abuse.
Areas to investigate could include:
- Prevention of violence, abuse and intimidation against women and girls through holistic approaches including multi-agency working and education
- Addressing root causes of VAWG, including a focus on perpetrators as well as the prevention and reduction of further offending
- Development of trauma-informed policing practices and investigative techniques.
Applicants must stimulate new links or further grow and diversify existing connections between the police, academia and other stakeholders. Applicants are encouraged to do so by developing innovative, creative and genuinely collaborative programmes of networking, and by co-designing activities which could include (but are not limited to):
- Seminars to share findings from research with police constabularies and other stakeholders, or knowledge exchange activities with a specific focus on networking and partnership building between policing, academia and other stakeholders
- Workshops to explore opportunities for collaboration and to identify shared priorities, agendas, research and evidence needs or areas of interest around specific challenges related to VAWG of concern to the constabularies and other stakeholders
- Review or preparation of data held by the police or a partner in order to enable new research
- Review of existing police and partner research activities and provision of advice on their progression
- Mobility and networking, including travel for one or more investigators
- Scoping studies and pilot activities
- Digital collaboration, such as running webinars
- Researcher exchanges (for example, research visits, short stays and staff exchanges)
- Other collaborative activities aimed at developing or sustaining research networks and giving way to future cooperation.
|Funding body||Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)|
|Category||Economic and Social Research|
|Fund or call||Fund|