EPSRC Energy Demand Champion Call
Closing Date: 06/04/2022
Funding for a UK-based researcher to become the ‘Energy Demand Research Champion’ to lead the next stage of energy demand research in the UK. The Champion will develop a consortium to apply for the upcoming funding opportunity for a new ‘Energy Demand Research Centre’ and lead this centre if the proposal is successful.
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) have launched this opportunity for a UK-based researcher to become the ‘Energy Demand Research Champion’ to lead the next stage of energy demand research in the UK.
The Champion will provide transformational leadership and coordination in energy demand research to help inform the UK’s transition to net zero by 2050. They will also be expected to develop a consortium that will apply for the upcoming funding opportunity for a new ‘Energy Demand Research Centre’, and subsequently act as lead of this centre if the consortium proposal is successful.
The champion will be expected to:
- Increase understanding and actionable insights to inform the transformation of energy demand within the UK and internationally.
- Provide leadership through the design and implementation of an interdisciplinary Energy Demand Research Centre that includes wider stakeholders.
- Champion interdisciplinary research, integrating a range of disciplines to provide actionable solutions.
- Support capacity and capability building for research and knowledge mobilisation, to ensure insights are deployed as rapidly and effectively as possible.
- Contribute to the wider national and international energy demand research community, including being an equality, diversity and inclusivity (EDI) role model.
The Energy Demand Research Champion will be required to:
- Develop a detailed proposal for assessing future UKRI investment in energy demand research. This should include a focus on interdisciplinary research, a strong career development programme, a clear EDI plan, and an appropriate management and governance model with effective monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop a stakeholder engagement and knowledge mobilisation strategy for input into the design and development of the Energy Demand Research Centre, including how the energy demand community, business and government will be integrated.
- Summarise how future investment in energy demand research will build upon existing activities, infrastructure and investments.
- Develop a plan of engagement with the UKRI office on future ideas for energy demand research, through regular catch ups and effective collaboration.
- Draw up a clear communication plan that details how potential impacts and outputs will be communicated to a wide range of audiences, both internally and externally.
The long-term goals for the champion are to:
- Provide leadership and coordination on interdisciplinary energy demand research, including through the design and delivery of a world-leading Energy Demand Research Centre (if the funding application is successful).
- Contribute towards the evidence base for energy demand, informing strategies to help meet the UK’s 2050 net zero target and broader global environmental and sustainability goals.
- Enhance utilisation and engagement with energy demand research across society, to ensure more sustainable and equitable decision making.
|Funding body||Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)|
|Category||Engineering and Physical Sciences
|Fund or call||Fund|