Darwin Plus Local
Closing Date: 14/02/2023
Funding for projects to protect the unique biodiversity and improve resilience to climate change within the UK Overseas Territories (UKOTs).
The Darwin Plus Initiative is one of Defra’s Biodiversity Challenge Funds, along with Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund and the Darwin Initiative.
Darwin Plus Local is being introduced to support small scale environmental projects in the UKOTs, with the aim of building capacity in-territory and contributing to local economies.
A wide range of projects may be eligible for funding through Darwin Plus Local. Potential activities that may be eligible include, but are not limited to:
- Capacity building such as training courses, upskilling, peer-to-peer learning initiatives and sharing of best practice among OTs and their partners
- Pilot projects to test a proven evidence-based or innovative new solution in a specific area or with a specific group, to measure results and learn lessons
- Enhanced protection and restoration of priority species, habitats, and landscapes and sustainable management of natural resources and activities (such as tourism)
- Actions to combat and build capacity to tackle invasive alien species and improve biosecurity
- Grassroots, community-based and locally led efforts to advance conservation action, build capacity and increase resilience or improve environmental quality
- Policy work, which might include legal gap analysis or drafting and implementation of new legislation
- Outreach and education, including to involve, build capacity and buy-in for conservation, and raise awareness among local people and diverse community groups
- Actions to increase resilience to climate change and enhance sustainability
- Enhanced data management and analysis with specific goals for embedding this to inform policy, management, and practice
- Sustainable financing for conservation.